Topic: Land Acquisition for a New Geneva Lakes Family YMCA Facility | July 2019 Update
Introduction | Need
In 2017, the Geneva Lakes Family YMCA Board and senior management determined it was time to explore the feasibility of acquiring land and building a new YMCA in Lake Geneva. This was determined due to the explosion of membership, an aging facility, and to serve the surrounding growing communities. During this time, significant research and feasibility studies have been conducted that support the need for such a facility.
- After an extensive land search in Lake Geneva, a 112-acre location has been identified on the southeast corner of Lake Geneva of which 60 acres is protected wetland space and will not be built on. This open land is located at Highway 120 and Wells Street (just down the road from our current facility located at 203 S. Wells Street). This location is situated in the Townships of Linn and Bloomfield. The property would be annexed into the City of Lake Geneva allowing for an approximate 80,000 square foot facility to be built, roughly twice the size of our current building.
- At a minimum, the plan for this new facility will include additional space for parking, fitness, childcare, aquatics, camps and sports programming. The size of this land will position the YMCA nicely for additional amenities and future growth.
- Plans for construction will begin in the next 2-3 years. During this time, the current facility will continue to remain clean, safe and maintained and updated to meet the needs of our members, guests and staff.
- At this point search for a construction management company has begun. A more detailed project budget will be released soon. Fundraising is underway beginning with our Board of Directors. A strategic approach to seek funding is being initiated which will seek community support as well. Donations for this Capital Project can be made payable to the Geneva Lakes Family YMCA.
- The YMCA currently serves more than 6,900 members and 60 communities with a focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
- The mission of the YMCA is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build a healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
Additional questions can be directed to Mike Kramp, CEO, Geneva Lakes Family YMCA, firstname.lastname@example.org | 262.248.6211 x18.